Friday, September 4, 2015

So really what do I know?

So really what is it that I can offer, why and am I doing this? Well I have spent loads of time (all my spare time actually, call it a hobby, call it crazy!) reading about healthy nutrition.
For years (until I was about 35 years old), I thought being healthy meant you ate a little less junk, more fruit, more veggies, and drank diet pop instead of regular. Choosing low fat options when ever possible and if a product had artificial sugar that was awesome because it was essentially “free”. Everything (pretty much everything) I ate was processed. I even did some diets where ALL the food I ate was processed. I never cooked, baked, or prepared anything myself.
I had tried every diet possible, fad or otherwise. I won’t list them because my list is too long and that is just depressing.
After I had 2 kids in 15 months and recovered from the “what I have 2 babies? am I crazy?” feeling, I decided I wanted to lose my baby weight. After all my youngest was 2 years old and people were still asking me when my baby was due. I once parked in the pregnant parking spot at Walmart and pretended to waddle into the store because I was so angry that people kept thinking I was pregnant…sad I know, I digress.
I resorted to all my old tricks for weight loss (years of yo yo dieting made me an expert) except nothing was working. I was gaining weight fast and furiously and I was feeling horrible. I was even diagnosed with diabetes and put on medication.
You can read more about my story on the “About Me” page.
So anyway,
I turned to taking courses and reading everything I could get my hands on about healthy…really healthy…nutrition.
Here is what I’ve done:
  • ·         “Thrive in Thirty” by Brenden Brazier – 2011
  • ·         “Thrive Forward” by Brenden Brazier” – 2012
  • ·         Various cooking classes from Delicious Knowledge by Marni Wasserman from 2011 and always ongoing.
  • ·         Plant Based Nutrition Certification by eCornell University (Dr. T. Collin Campbell) – 2012
  • ·         Culinary Nutrition Expert (CNE) from The Academy of Culinary Nutrition (Meghan Telpner) -2013/2014
  • ·         Superfoods Nutrition from Matthew Kinney Culinary Institute (and Navitas Naturals) – Winter 2014
  • ·         Veggication Certification – Winter 2014
  • ·         GAPS Practice (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) – Winter 2014
  • ·         Advanced Clinical Focus: Digestion and GI Health, Josh Gitalis – September 2014
  • ·         Attended various talks, health fairs, and seminars on the topic of nutrition.
  • ·         Food Handlers and Safety Couse – Ontario Public Health September 2015
  • ·         Whatever exciting reading I can get my hands on!

WOW, so  maybe I’ve learned a bit.
My hope is to share that knowledge with you. My hope is to use that knowledge once again to get back in the healthy game.
If you are also interested in learning more check out my nutrition teacher Meghan Telpner, she rocks! The Culinary Academy of Nutrition is loaded with blog posts, recipes, tips, and tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment